Advising for Data Science Students
Data Science staff and faculty advise students on a variety of topics and encourage regular communication. It is important for students to take advantage of these opportunities to connect with support so they can be successful in their program. Students have the following mechanisms to connect with program staff and faculty. As the program is evolving, we expect that the information will change so please refer to this page frequently for any updates.
Data Science undergraduate program is currently located in the Computer Science and Engineering Building, EBU 3B, 1st floor, Room 1200 located with the CSE Student Affairs Office. (Once you have entered the building, walk past the stairs to the basement, stay on the first floor, and sign in the CSE Student Affairs Intake Office. Be prepared to share you PID)
For general inquiries, please use the following information.
- Phone: 858-534-5435
- Fax: 858-822-3319
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; please include your PID in the email.
- Submit your question to the Undergraduate Advisor through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC).
Students are encouraged to consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) so they may find answers to many standard questions- coming soon!
Students who need accommodation due to disabilities are advised to review the information about OSD Accommodation information.
The Data Science program plans to hold various events to connect with students and provide useful information. Please check the events page for information about upcoming events.
Margaret Zuhlke is the Program Coordinator/Undergraduate Advisor for the Data Science program. You can connect with her via using the following mechanisms.
- Make a 30-minute scheduled appointment. These appointments are intended for students interested in the major/minor, students already declared in the major, and students who need support with course advisement, four year plans, and information that will take longer than 15 minutes to discuss. Be sure to schedule your appointment at least 48 hours in advance, and if you are running late or need to reschedule it is expected you call 858-534-5435 as soon as possible. When requesting an appointment, please provide your PID. If you are communicating via email, it is imperative that you reply to confirm your appointment as soon as possible. Lack of response may result in loss of appointment availability.
Please send email to email@example.com (include your PID in the email) or call 858-534-5435 to make an appointment. Starting this Spring 2018 Quarter, appointments are available during:
- Tuesdays, 1:00PM- 3:30PM
- Thursday, 9:00AM-12:00PM
2. Walk in for a 10-15 minute advising session if you have 1 or 2 questions that can be quickly addressed. These are on a first come, first served basis. The last student will be seen for a walk in advising session fifteen minutes before the end of the advising hours available that day. Walk in advising sessions are available during the following times:
- Mondays, 1:00pm-3:30pm
- Fridays, 9:00am-12:00pm
*The Advising Office will be closed Thursday, March 29th-Monday, April 2nd. Advising hours will resume on Tuesday, April 3rd.
3. Submit your query via the VAC: Virtual Advising Center. If you have general questions or concerns, please send your query to the Virtual Advising Center and an advisor will respond in 2-3 business days. Only available for UC San Diego students.
4. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include your PID in the email.
The following data science faculty hold office hours for individual advising. Students are expected to show up during the office hours and wait for their turn.
- Professor Mohan Paturi will hold office hours at the following times in room CSE 4246 starting September 25, 2017. Please do not send email.
- Mondays, 9:30-10:30 AM