Data Science Major Requirements
Lower-division requirements(56 units)
Students must complete 56 lower-division units. Students are recommended to complete lower-division courses by the end of their second year. If you are not on track to do so, please consult with the Undergraduate Advisor to ensure you are on track for your time to degree. All lower-division courses must be taken for a letter grade. A minimum grade of C- is required.
- Mathematics (16 units): Math 18, 20A, 20B, 20C
- Natural Sciences (12 units):
Students must choose one of the following sequences (12 units):
Biological Sciences: BILD 1, BILD 2, BILD 3 or BILD 10, BILD 12, BILD 20 or any three courses chosen from BILD 7, BILD 10, BILD 12, BILD 18, BILD 20, BILD 22, and BILD 26
Chemistry: Chem 6A, 6B, 6C or Chem 11, 12, 13
Physics: Phy 2A, 2B, 2C or Phy 7, 8, 10
- Data Science (28 units)
- COGS 9: Introduction to Data Science
- DSC 10: Principles of Data Science
- DSC 20: Algorithms, Programming and Data Structures for Data Science I
- DSC 30: Algorithms, Programming and Data Structures for Data Science II
- CSE 20: Data Meets Theory I (Students are strongly advised to enroll in the special edition of CSE 20 aimed at the data science majors/minors.) In future, this course will be labelled by DSC 40.
- CSE 21: Data Meets Theory II (Students are strongly advised to enroll in the special edition of CSE 21 aimed at the data science majors/minors. In future, this course will be labelled by DSC 42.
- DSC 80: The Practice and Application of Data Science
Upper-division requirements (60 units)
Students must complete 60 upper-division units. All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/No Pass only; a maximum of 12 units of courses offered as P/NP may be taken. A minimum grade of C- is required. Students may petition to satisfy up to 8 Elective units using upper-division courses not on the list below but in an application domain of their interest. Tutoring and independent study do not count (e.g., courses numbered 195, 198, and 199). A maximum of 4 units of ENG 100L may count. Students will be expected to fulfill all prerequisites for all courses, which may entail additional coursework beyond the Data Science major requirements.
- Core Courses (32 units)
- MATH 183 or CSE 103 or ECE 109 or Math 181A
- MATH 189: Data Analysis and Inference
- DSC 110
- DSC 120
- DSC 170L
- CSE 150: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence: Search and Reasoning
- CSE 151: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence: Statistical Approaches
- CSE 158: Recommender System and Web Mining
- Senior Project (8 units): DSC 196A and 196B
- Electives (20 units)
- Any upper-division Data Science course not used to fulfill other requirements
- Any of the following: COGS 118A, 118B, 120 and 121; CSE 100, 101, 152, and 166; ECE 153, 156, 174, 175A, and 175B; ENG 100L; MATH 173A, 173B, 181A, 181B, 181C and 181E.