Data Science Major Requirements
Lower-division requirements(56 units)
- Mathematics (16 units): Math 18, 20A, 20B, 20C
- Natural Sciences (12 units):
Students must choose one of the following sequences (12 units):
Biological Sciences: BILD 1, BILD 2, and BILD 3 or BILD 10, BILD 12, and BILD 20 or any three courses chosen from BILD 7, BILD 10, BILD 12, BILD 18, BILD 20, BILD 22, BILD 26, and BILD 28
Chemistry: Chem 6A, 6B and 6C or Chem 11, 12 and 13
Physics: Phy 2A, 2B, and 2C or Phy 7, 8 and 10
- Data Science (28 units)
- COGS 9: Introduction to Data Science
- DSC 10: Principles of Data Science
- DSC 20: Algorithms, Programming and Data Structures for Data Science I
- DSC 30: Algorithms, Programming and Data Structures for Data Science II
- CSE 20: Data Meets Theory I (Students are strongly advised to enroll in the special edition of CSE 20 aimed at the data science majors/minors.) In future, this course will be labelled by DSC 40.
- CSE 21: Data Meets Theory II (Students are strongly advised to enroll in the special edition of CSE 21 aimed at the data science majors/minors. In future, this course will be labelled by DSC 42.
- DSC 80: The Practice and Application of Data Science
Upper-division requirements (60 units)
Students must complete 60 upper-division units. All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/No Pass only. A minimum grade of C- is required.
- Core Courses (32 units): MATH 183 or CSE 103 or ECE 109 or Math 181A, MATH 189, DSC 110, DSC 120, DSC 170L, CSE 150, CSE 151, CSE 158 Senior Project (8 units): DSC 196A and 196B
- Electives (20 units)
- Any upper-division Data Science course not used to fulfill other requirements
- Any of the following: COGS 118A, 118B, 120 and 121; CSE 100, 101, 152, and 166; ECE 153, 156, 174, 175A, and 175B; ENG 100L; MATH 173A, 173B, 181A, 181B, 181C and 181E.
- Students will be expected to fulfill all prerequisites for all courses, which may entail additional coursework beyond the Data Science major requirements.
- Students may petition to satisfy up to 8 Elective units using upper-division courses not on the list below but in an application domain of their interest.
- A maximum of 12 units of courses offered Pass/No Pass only may be taken.
- Tutoring and independent study do not count (e.g., courses numbered 195, 198, and 199).
- A maximum of 4 units of ENG 100L may count.